Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What is this rest and where can I find it?

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  -Matthew 11:28

It’s that time of the year, finals week.  This marks the end of the semester.  It could not come any sooner.  I’m worn out and stress is at the highest level.  It probably doesn’t help that I’m writing this post instead of studying for my finals.  I’m ready to go home, relax and spend time with my family.

This verse gives me a lot of comfort, especially this week.  Comfort knowing that I can give my burdens to Christ.  Comfort that I know I don’t have to carry these burdens on my own.  All I’m looking for is rest and just a little bit of time where I can just forget about school and the cares of this world.

I also find the word “all” very interesting.  In this verse Jesus isn’t limiting who He is giving rest to.  “All you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.”  It doesn’t matter what kind of lifestyle you are living, if you come to Christ He will give you rest. 

What comes with this rest is a peace that transcends all understanding.  When I think of this peace I just imagine having no worries at all.  This peace can be so freeing.  It is something that I strive to experience. 

Think about what is wearing you out and stressing you out.  Bring it to the feet of Jesus today.  Release it and experience the rest  that only He can give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment